On Saturday, August 10, 2013, the first TUNE UP worship band gathering was held. Over 125 contemporary worship musicians and sound techs assembled on the campus of Faith Lutheran Church in Bellaire, TX (Houston) for a day of learning, growing, and networking. The event was organized by the Worship Excellence Team of the TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod (ELCA) to provide training in the fundamentals of music and worship.
The group that gathered represented 28 congregations including Lutheran, Nazarene, Episcopal, and Non-Denominational churches. Churches from as far away as Austin, TX and Chalmette, LA brought musicians to attend the event.
The schedule included times of worship, instrumental/vocal tracks, and conceptual tracks. A team of track leaders with main speaker Bishop Mike Rinehart led worship. The instrumental tracks were divided by specific instrument (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboard, drums, vocals, sound tech). Each group gathered together for training and instruction specific to that instrument. Conceptual track offerings included sessions on arranging songs for worship, choosing songs for worship, and principles for worship. Additionally, a “Coaching for Bands” track was offered in which two church bands received feedback and help with their music from a panel of track leaders.
One attendee commented, “It’s nice to attend an event where you get something you can actually use.” Another said, “Thanks for doing this. It helped to refocus me on being a lead worshipper instead of a lead guitarist.”
An overwhelming amount of positive responses suggest that we will likely offer the event again in the future. Watch the event website for details: TuneUpGathering.org.
Thanks to everyone who attended the TUNE UP worship band gathering on Saturday! We had a great event and were glad you all came. I hope you took something new back to your church for worship and music.
If you haven’t taken the online survey, please do so and give us some feedback. This was our first event and we would love to hear your suggestions. Click here for the survey.
Stay tuned to this website for announcements and details about future TUNE UP events.
Here is a list of the songs we used in worship on August 10:
- Hallelujah, We Sing Your Praises (ELW 535, South African, arr. Richard Birk)
- Glory to God Forever (Steve Fee and Vicky Beeching)
- Come, Let Us Worship God (Ray Makeever)
- 10,000 Reasons (Jonas Myrin and Matt Redman)
- All the Earth Will Sing Your Praises (Paul Baloche)
- Somos uno en Cristo/We Are All One in Christ (ELW 643, Anonymous, arr. Richard Birk)
- How Great Thou Art/How Great Is Our God (ELW 856 Stuart Hine/Chris Tomlin, Ed Cash, Jesse Reeves)
- The Only One (Chris Tomlin, Carson, Reeves, Maher, Gilder, Scott, Ingram)
- Our God (Chris Tomlin, Redman, Myrin, Reeves)
- There Is a Balm in Gilead (ELW 614, African American spiritual, arr. Richard Birk)
We also showed two videos:
This event is for Worship Bands, Youth Bands, Praise Teams, Sound Techs, Vocalists, Keyboardists, Electric Guitarists, Bass Guitarists, Acoustic Guitarists, Drummers, Pastors, and Directors of Music.
If you want to learn and grow as a contemporary worship musician, this is the event for you.