On Saturday, August 20, 2016, the TUNE UP worship band gathering was held. Over 60 worship musicians, pastors, sound techs, and video techs assembled on the campus of Faith Lutheran Church in Bellaire, TX for a multi-denominational training event. Continuing in its fourth year, the event was organized by the Worship Excellence Team of the TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod (ELCA) to improve the quality of band-led worship in smaller churches.
The assembled musicians and techs represented 14 congregations including Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, and United Methodist churches. Participants traveled from as far as Austin, Texas and DeRidder, Louisiana to attend the training event.
The gathering began with opening worship and a panel discussion about the intersection of worship and culture. Then everyone divided into instrumental/vocal/tech tracks, and conceptual tracks. The instrumental tracks were divided by specific area (worship leader, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboard, drums, vocals, sound tech, and video tech). Conceptual track offerings included sessions on music theory, collaborative worship design, making worship contextual, live streaming, and a web tool called Planning Center Online. During the “Coaching for Bands” session a volunteer church band from Messiah Lutheran in Cypress received feedback and help with their music from a panel of track leaders.
One of our special guests for the event was Brian Hehn, Director of The Center for Congregational Song at The Hymn Society in the U.S. and Canada. Brian, who joined the house band on percussion, had this to say: “Great event. Thanks for doing this important work. The overall spirit of the event and people who attended/led was very joyful and kind-spirited.” Watch the website for details on upcoming events: TuneUpGathering.org.
Photos by Larry Bose.
Thanks to everyone who attended the TUNE UP worship band gathering on Saturday! We had a great event and were glad you all came. I hope you took something new back to your church for worship and music.
If you haven’t taken the online survey, please do so and give us some feedback. This was our first event and we would love to hear your suggestions. Click here for the survey.
Stay tuned to this website for announcements and details about future TUNE UP events.
Here is a list of the songs we used in worship on August 10:
- Hallelujah, We Sing Your Praises (ELW 535, South African, arr. Richard Birk)
- Glory to God Forever (Steve Fee and Vicky Beeching)
- Come, Let Us Worship God (Ray Makeever)
- 10,000 Reasons (Jonas Myrin and Matt Redman)
- All the Earth Will Sing Your Praises (Paul Baloche)
- Somos uno en Cristo/We Are All One in Christ (ELW 643, Anonymous, arr. Richard Birk)
- How Great Thou Art/How Great Is Our God (ELW 856 Stuart Hine/Chris Tomlin, Ed Cash, Jesse Reeves)
- The Only One (Chris Tomlin, Carson, Reeves, Maher, Gilder, Scott, Ingram)
- Our God (Chris Tomlin, Redman, Myrin, Reeves)
- There Is a Balm in Gilead (ELW 614, African American spiritual, arr. Richard Birk)
We also showed two videos: